The third time is the charm – Moving on!
Since 2005 I have been employed by VMware solution & service provider partners and I have learned a lot about all the different VMware products. Over time virtualization especially with VMware took more and more part in my daily business and also my career path has changed over the years.
I started as a Systems Engineer (for Austrian companies it is similar to an Implementation Engineer) in a small company doing a lot of Windows, Exchange, network and since 2007 also small virtualization deployments starting with ESX 3.5. When I started working for one of the biggest VMware partners in Austria, I began to get more in-depth understanding and knowledge about the products VMware offered at this time. In my current position as a Senior System Consultant at Imtech ICT Austria GmbH I started my VCDX journey to advance myself in terms of design aspects. Since 2010 my daily work also consisted of pre-sales and post-sales consulting including infrastructure designs for customers. In this year I decided that I wanted to work for VMware in the future.
I had my first opportunity in 2011, when I applied for a Senior Consultant position. Unfortunately my lack of experience has cost me this opportunity. So I studied harder, got more experience, did a lot of VCP and VCAPs and had 2013 another chance to join VMware as a Senior Consultant for Automation. Again my lack of experience and knowledge in a particular product/topic cost me the position. After that I was really upset and thought I would never work for VMware.
After all these downs exciting times lay ahead: I’m really happy to take on a new challenge and finally join VMware as a Technical Account Manager, starting on Monday (1st of September 2014).
For all who are not familiar with a Technical Account Manager, in short TAM, here is a short overview:
VMware Technical Account Managers provide unrivaled product knowledge and proven skills to help you streamline deployment and improve operations of your VMware platform. Backed by the resources of the entire VMware organization and armed with best practices, TAMs work with you to minimize operational risks and realize business value from your IT transformation.
- Acts as primary focal point for technical questions, ideas and hurdles. They provide an inroad to VMware product experts and present your needs for inclusion in future product releases.
- Coordinates your VMware issue management, escalation and resolution, and help you optimize license and professional services credits usage.
- Develops virtualization and cloud computing strategies for a pre-defined set of businesses, geographies, and VMware solutions. They work with you to ensure that your strategies align with the objectives of designated lines of business.
- Creates a business review with you twice a year.
- Coordinates briefings and deep dive sessions with VMware product experts on topics that are pertinent to your environment and objectives.
To be honest I’m so excited that I can’t wait to start working for my new company. One of the best things is that I will work again with my former mentor Henrik Andersson (@vmswede) who also will be my mentor at VMware.