VMware has announced VMware View 5.1
VMware has announced View 5.1. Here are some new feature:
- VMware View Storage Accelerator – VMware View Storage Accelerator (formerly known as Content
Based Read Cache) optimizes storage load and improves performance by caching common image
blocks when reading virtual desktop images, helping to reduce overall TCO in VMware View
- VMware View Composer Array Integration (VCAI) – Offered in VMware View 5.1 as a Tech
Preview, VCAI will leverage the native cloning abilities in the storage array to offload storage
operations within a VMware View environment. As a result, VCAI improves provisioning speeds and
management in View Composer and offers another solution for customers wanting to leverage other
- VMware View Persona Management – New in VMware View 5.1, VMware View Persona
Management will extend to physical desktops, enabling IT organizations to preserve user settings
across all Windows devices and streamline the migration from physical to stateless virtual desktops.
- VMware vCenter™ Operations for VMware View – Offered as a new add-on to VMware View,
VMware vCenter Operations for VMware View will enable administrators to have broad insight into
virtual desktop performance. Increased insight can empower administrators to quickly pinpoint and
troubleshoot issues, optimize resource utilization and proactively address potential issues in real time.
- VMware View Administrator Enhancements – New performance enhancements to the
administrator user interface will deliver faster response times for large-scale desktop environments in
the tens-of-thousands. With VMware View 5.1, desktop provisioning with pre-created AD accounts
simplifies the process and enhances compliance policy. Administrator enhancements also include
editable locations for disposable disk drives.
- RADIUS Support – Support in VMware View 5.1 for RADIUS will enable greater choice for
organizations looking to deploy two-factor authentication, while maintaining compatibility with existing
- New VMware View Clients – Users will be able to connect to their VMware View desktop from a
variety of mobile and fixed endpoints with updated clients for Mac, Windows and Linux desktops, thin
or zero clients and Apple iPad, Android and Amazon Kindle Fire tablets. VMware View 5.1 with
PCoIP® adapts to the end users’ network connection to provide a high-quality, customized desktop
experience over the LAN or WAN.
- VMware View Media Services Enhancements – VMware View 5.1 Local Mode will add multi-monitor
support and expanded USB device compatibility, improving the user experience by enabling more
peripherals to connect seamlessly into VMware View virtual desktops.
- VMware View Administrator Language Support – Globalization and localization of administrator UI
provides a better experience for non-English speaking IT organizations and will enable greater
adoption in additional markets. Languages will include French, German, Japanese, Korean and
VMware View 5.1 will be available in Q2 2012.